[Advaita-l] On virATa

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 03:54:42 EDT 2019

(resending with better formatting for online reading)

Namaste,

Summarizing my understanding of virATa and related topics.

Adi-puruSha or simply puruSha (of puruSha sUkta) is continuously active in incremental
creation, sustenance, and incremental destruction/ transformation of the world we live in.

Let us call the raw material that puruSha works on as the unmanifest.

>From this unmanifest, with active involvement from puruSha, special ingredients
(tattva-s) useful for life keep getting formed. This collection of
special tattva-s is called visheSha.

The remanding raw material is termed sheSha.

The ruler of this visheSha is virATa/ virAja (in puruSha sUkta)

adhi puruSha (in puruSha sUkta) operates on this pool of visheSha, and creates
special beings in the creation like trimUrti-s, deva-s, gandharva-s, humans ...

puruSha == kAraNodaka shayi puruSha ==  kAraNodaka shayi viShNu
adhi puruSha == garbhodaka shayi puruSha == garbhodaka shayi viShNu
viShNu from trimUrti == kShirodaka shayi puruSha == kShirodaka shayi viShNu

Hari om.

Regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari