[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 05:39:27 EDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 12:46 PM Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> //Some days later the police caught the thieves and brought them before
> Sri Bhagavan, and an officer asked Him to identify the one who had beaten
> Him on that night. Sri Bhagavan at once replied with a smile, 'Find out
> whom I beat [in a previous birth], for it is he who has beaten me now!'. He
> never denounced the criminal!//
>

> This is what traditional Advaita would say about prarabdha karma for a
> Jnani. Swami Vidyaranya has said this alone. It is not for the bystanders
> to say this; it is the Jnani himself who says this.
>

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
>
> Hare Krishna
>

> As you know,  we both have unwritten agreement that we should not discuss
> vedAnta as we are,  in certain very important aspects of advaita not on the
> same platform 😊  So, below quote, which was duly supplied by my hari
> bandhu ( he often helps me when I am in office and need info. From web) is
> not for any debate or further discussion, just want to share that when
> bhagavaan ramaNa specifically being asked about jnAni’s prArabdha his
> answer was quite unambiguous. Here is that relevant quote :

Dear Bhaskar ji,

To one of my quotes of Ramana's words, you are giving another quote that
you think contradicts my quote of Ramana. But all this is actually showing
Ramana in poor light, as someone who contradicts himself. So let me add to
this 'damage':

https://www.inner-quest.org/Ramana_Abide.htm

quote:

*Question:* Does a jnani in the body remain visible?

*Ramana:* Why not?

*Question:* Body is the reflection of the mind. There ought to be
modifications because of it.

*Ramana:* In whose view should a jnani's body have a change?

*Question:* To the outside view.

*Ramana:* Then a jnani ought to be invisible? All who wrote books, lived
and moved are ajnanis [those who are ignorant of their true nature]. Is
that so? [laughing] Does the jnani himself feel oppressed by the body? Does
he need a certificate from others by their not seeing his body?

unquote

So here we see Ramana saying the opposite of what you quoted him as saying.
Also, Ramana has said: There is no Jnani; there is only Jnanam (Brahman).

One can easily see that this is said from the 'na nirodhi no
chotpatti.....' paramarthataa state.

We can end up saying: Even what is 'said' to be stated by Ramana is only
ajnanis' imagination; in fact there is no person at all called Ramana, that
is also ajnani's imagination. And the robbers raiding the Ashram, Ramana
getting a blow or two from them, and what he said about it later, all are
only imaginations of ajnani-s. They never happened at all.

regards
subbu