[Advaita-l] Is difference known by perception?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat May 4 07:49:04 EDT 2019

Venkatraghavanji - PraNAms
Not sure the essence of the Advaitic position. Swarupa jnaanam comes in at the absolute level, not at the transactional level. Pramaanas other than Vedanta mostly operate at the transactional level where objects are perceived or inferred.
Perception of an object does involve the perception of the differences between the objects too; since the perception of an object involves the perception via senses that measures the reflected attributes of the objects. The objects do differ since their attributive content differs.
The confusion arises taking the attributive objects represents their essential swaruupam. They are only real at the transactional stage and the scriptural statement - neha naa naa asti kinchana -refers to their essence at the absolute level. Since the scripture says - vaachaarambhanam vikaaraH naamadheyam - and sarvam khalu idam brahma. Even from the objective science point everything is nothing but electrons, protons, and neutrons at some level. Hence neha naa naasti kinchan can apply at that level too!
The arguments of the other darshanikas involve getting confused between the reality at the absolute level vs the reality at the transactional level.
Even the silver in the shell is real for the perceiver at that time until he further enquires. Then he recognizes the silver that he saw was not real even though shell looks silvery even after he picks up. The silvery attribute is still there but it belongs to the shell and not real. Well, all that glitters is not gold - there is Eureka Eureka story too.
Just could not resist.
Hari Om!Sadananda