[Advaita-l] Have you seen God?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 12:07:45 EST 2020

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:11 PM Anand N via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Bhaskarji,
>

> When I was referring to Vedanta literature reference, I meant, if for
> example -
> The student who is learning about the Self under the Guru in the Upanishad
> literature, asks the Guru directly, if he has realised himself.
> I'm just curious to know if such a direct question to the Guru from the
> student existed and what the answer given by the Guru was.

In the Upanishads, it is always the case of the aspirant approaching a
self-realized Guru.  Even though this adjective is not explicitly given,
the default understanding is: When a Guru in the Upanishad teaches
Atma/Brahma Vidya, and the disciple is most of the times explicitly stated
to have secured the liberating knowledge as a result of the teaching, the
Guru is a Self-realized one. Sri Vidyaranya argues and establishes so in
the Jivanmukti Viveka.

In the Bhuma Vidya of Chandogya, Narada approaches Sanatkumara and says: I
have heard from exalted ones like you that 'the knower of the Self crosses
over misery.'

So, in the Upanishads, there is no need for the aspirant asking that
question to the Acharya he approaches. In the Bh.Gita Krishna says: Seek to
know That thru humility, service, etc. and the Jnani-s will teach you.

In Brihadaranyaka it is said:  People throng to Janaka to get this Vidya.
So, Janaka is already so famous as a Knower that people go to him. Vyasa
sends Shuka his son to Janaka for a final-stage upadesha.  So, generally
the Teachers are well known as Realized persons.

regards
subbu