[Advaita-l] On Ramana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachi-powergrids.com
Fri Jun 25 14:13:31 EDT 2021

He is referring to "असम्प्रदायवित् मूर्खवत् उपेक्षणीयः।" - (someone who is not sampradAya-vit  i.e., a knower of the Advaita teaching tradition - should be ignored as a fool) - a well known phrase from shankara bhAShya.

praNAms Sri Raghav Prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, this is what I have in mind asaMpradAyavit mUrkhavat upekshaNeeyaH,  bhagavatpAda at somany places revere the teachings of saMpradAyavida-s ( the knowers of sampradaya) and shruti also recommends the guidance of shrotreeya - brahmanishTa guru (tadvijnAnArthaM sa gurumevAbhigacchet samitpANiH shrOtreeyaM brahmanishTam-insists mundaka shruti), and brahma vidya and its realization should not be tried on our own (without guidance of traditional teacher) though he is a scholar of shAstra says shankara.  So, it is quite imperative that mOksha vidya should be learnt by serving the feet of shrotreeya brahmanishTa guru (tadviddhi praNipAtena pariprashneya sevaya).  A shrotreeya guru can guide his disciples in a right way as he himself studied the shAstra in a traditional way and engaging himself in a traditional life style and obviously his teaching would be strictly in line with shAstra and he will not try to interpret the shAstra as per his whims and fancies.  So, that much importance given to tradition and traditional teachers.  Traditional teachers would not recommend any easy and short cut methods to attain mOksha because they know there is no other means other than one indicated in shAstra (nAnyaH paNtha ayanAya vidyate).  IMHO, if the BRM's teachings which is mainly focused to find the solution of the query who am I,  based on shAstra vAkya shravaNa, manana and nidhidhyAsana then we can bring his teaching / method of sAdhana within the boundaries of traditions.  But I am afraid that is not the case here.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar