[Advaita-l] Fwd: Perception in lightning

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 11:55:31 EDT 2021

Namaste

True When the mind is interested in giving explanations for Anatma Vastu
there is doubt and fear. There will be arguments and disagreements about
who is correct and who is wrong about Anatma vastu. Now if we focus on Atma
only there will be agreement because nobody can have disagreement on his
own Existence. Every person will agree He Exists and He is Consciousness
also. But he does not know he is Pure Happiness also. He searches for
happiness in outside Anatma things but it is always there with him. What is
to be done?

Mind must not go out and it must turn inwards. In this discussion I see
everybody is discussing about Mind going Out with the Indriyas like Eye and
Ear. It is the wrong thing to do for the Mind to go out. It must be made to
turn Inwards only. If it goes Out with some organ it is like searching for
water in Mirage. There is nothing for the Mind outside.

The above has shown Perception through Indriyas is a useless exercise. If
it is a useless exercise why should we discuss it? It is like two persons
arguing about the taste of Mirage water. One says it is sweet and another
says it is salty. Who cares?

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l <

>  Dear friends,
> The first line of Mantra 2-2-12 of Mundaka upanishad reads thus :
> brahma Eva idam amRutaM purastAt ||Sri Shankara in his commentary to the
> above line writes thus:      brahmaiva uktalaShaNam (amRutam)
>       idaM yat tat purastAt agrE
>       abrahmEva avidyAdRuShTInAM pratyavaBAsamAnam ||
> From the above commentary it can be concluded thatall the discussions that
> are taking place about 'perception in lightning'which come under the
> category of a abrahmavastu which is due to
> avidyAdRuShTi.Is it worth to devote so much time and energy about such a
> vastu?
> Is it not much more beneficial to give up avidyadRuShTi by acquiring
> vidyAdRuShti and cognize all this sarvam is Brahman only?
> Is it not what Sri Shankara expects from the the students of Advaita
> Vedanta?
>
> The above thoughts came to me as I was going through all the postings on
> the above subject.
> I may please be pardoned for sharing these thoughts of mine.
> With respectful namaskars,Sreenivasa Murthy
>

>     On Wednesday, 12 May, 2021, 5:06:26 pm GMT+1, V Subrahmanian via
> Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
>
>  Here is an observation by the author of the Vanamaala gloss on the
> Taittiriya Upanishad bhashyam:
>
> तत्र संशयनिश्चयरूपयोर्वृत्त्योरेव बहिर्विषयदेशे चक्षुरादिद्वारा निर्गमनं
> पुनः स्वाश्रयं प्रत्यागमनरूपं सङ्क्रमणं च दृश्यते, न तु
> साक्षान्मनोमयविज्ञानमययोर्बहिर्निर्गमनं स्वात्मनां प्रत्यागमनरूपं च
> सङ्क्रमणं दृश्यते, न च सम्भवति, स्वात्मनि स्वस्यैव प्रवेशादिक्रियाया
> विरुद्धत्वादित्यर्थः ।
>
> What we see here is: when it is said that the mind / manas 'goes out' it is
> the aspect of samshaya nishchaya vritti that goes out to the vishaya desha
> and 'returns' and not the very manomaya or vijanamaya kosha that 'goes out'
> and 'returns'.
>
> This gives us a clarification that 'there is no contingency of the jiva
> remaining without the manas/buddhi when it goes out to contact the
> vishayadesha.  The upapatti involved here is: the manas/buddhi is sAvayava
> and thus an amsha can very well go out and come.  I think this can be
> extended to the case of the indriya too, even though there is no prasiddhi
> in the shaastra for the sAvayavatva of the indriya, as far as I know.
>
> regards
> subbu

-Venkatesh