[Advaita-l] Fwd: [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 07:24:03 EDT 2021

Namaste.

Reg  <<  One example comes to my mind : vAmadeva realized in his mother's
womb.  How can it be possible with doing the shravaNAdi sAdhana in his
previous janma??  Even though it is not mentioned that he recollected the
sharuti vAkya shravaNAdi sAdhana which he did in his previous janma, it is
to be understood that sAdhana would fructify over a period of time when the
time is ripe and more importantly without any effort in the current janma
towards that jnana  >>,

I expected this much earlier during the course of his thread. What I am
stating below is something I stumbled across very recently and is based on
the following

BSB  3-4-51

<<  ऐहिकमप्यप्रस्तुतप्रतिबन्धे तद्दर्शनात् ॥ ५१ ॥  >>

<<  aihikamapyaprastutapratibandhe taddarshanAt || 51 ||  >>

For those who can follow tamil, following talk on this Sutra by Sri Mani
Dravid Shastriji could be useful

<<
https://www.centreforbrahmavidya.org/acharyas/dr-mani-dravid-sastri/brahma-sutra-bhashya-0507-sutra-03-04-51-to-52.html?filter=dr-mani-dravid-sastri%27s-brahma-sutra--bhashya-classes--adhyaya-3-pada-4&back=/acharyas/sri-shankara-bhagavatpada.html

Bhashya  specifically mentions the case of  Sage Vamadeva.

Panchadashi, Ch 9, DhyAna DIpa, Verse  45

      << आगामिप्रतिबन्धश्च  वामदेवे  समीरितः ।

एकेन  जन्मना  क्षीणो,  भरतस्य त्रिजन्मभिः ॥  >>

     <<  AgAmipratibandhashcha  vAmadeve  samIritaH |

ekena  janmanA  kShINo,  bharatasya trijanmabhiH ||  >>

Translation by Swami Rama ;; <<  The future impediment has been well
illustrated in the case of Vamadeva. He overcame it in one birth and
Bharata in three births  >>

For those who follow tamil, following talk by Swami Guruparananda could be
of use

<<
https://archive.org/details/PanchadasiChapter09/PD_09_Panchadasi_Chap_IX.mp3
>>  ( Talk 9 ).

It may be relevant to point out here that Swami Vidyaranya mentions in
verse 38 that he is citing here certain verses from the Vartika of Swami
Sureswaracharya on the nature of pratibandha for rise of jnAna. It is
mentioned by Commentators that verses 39 to 45 are from the Vartika. Hence
the validity of what is cited in Panchadashi by Swami Vidyaranya extends to
the Vartika of Swami Sureswaracharya himself. I was able to trace verses 39
and 40 to Sambandavartika verses 294 and 295. But I was not able to link
the other five verses.

My understanding of the gist of the teachings in the above, as relevant to
the topic in this thread, is as follows.

In some exceptional cases, when all conditions are ripe for the rise of
knowledge without any of the pratibandhas and  the sadhaka hears the
mahAvAkya from a Guru, certain prarabdha karma could already have arisen
which calls for rebirth to fulfil the same. This is termed AgAmi
Pratibandha by Swami Vidyaranya/Swami Sureswaracharya. Under such
circumstances, the prarabdha karma obstructs the rise of jnAna till such
time as the prarabdha karma is expiated. On expiation of the prarabdha
karma.., jnAna automatically rises without any other act, whether sadhana
or recollection. It is not due to samskAra. It is jnAna itself.

Vichara Sagara gives an illustration in a very similar but slightly
different context. In my understanding that illustration is more valid in
the above context. A hot iron ball should normally burn the hand holding
it. But this burning of the hand is prevented by the nearby presence of a
special type of Gem called ChandrakAnta maNi. As soon as the Gem is
removed, the hand burns without any other action. Similar is the case in
the rise of jnAna as above.

Having come across this, I am tempted to believe the same to be applicable
in respect of Sri Ramana Maharshi as well.
Regards