[Advaita-l] Anangagiri's significant comment

nsaha12 at yahoo.com nsaha12 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 03:27:10 EST 2022

 Namaskaram, Vinod ji and Subbu ji,
V: Sri Niranjan ji, thank you for your response, which is non-contradictory to
what I have said (Shankara’s period has been argued to be 508-477 BCE. )
N: I just wonder if it's held to be 7/8th Century CE.
S: Anandagiri's gloss has clearly said that
taking the triad to be diff individuals is Puranic and not Shrouta and in
the face of Shruti, Purana is a weak evidence.
N: Yes, ...not shrauta...a weaker evidence.

With regards,Niranjan

    On Saturday, 15 January, 2022, 11:09:50 am IST, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 7:36 AM Vinodh via Advaita-l <

> Sri Niranjan ji, thank you for your response, which is non-contradictory to
> what I have said.
>
> Sri Subbu ji, I am still curious to know what the significance of Sri
> Anandagiri’s comment is?

The significance is this: there are certain people who wish to paint
Vidyaranya and later Advaitins as having deviated from Shankara,
Sureshwara, Sarvajnatman, etc. all of whom were 'Vaishnava Advaitins' in
the sense that they all held Vishnu alone to be the Supreme Brahman,
Saguna.  The leaning towards Hari-Hara abheda, Trimurti aikya, etc. started
afterwards.

This statement of Anandagiri is clear evidence to the contrary.  Not just
this, Sureshwara's Vartika holds Hari-Brahma-Pinaki as the non-different
Jagatkaranam, Antaryami, for which Anandagiri's gloss has clearly said that
taking the triad to be diff individuals is Puranic and not Shrouta and in
the face of Shruti, Purana is a weak evidence.

regards
subbu