[Advaita-l] [advaitin] RE: pratiyogI-jnAna being mandatory for abhAva-jnAna

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 05:54:04 EDT 2024

Sudhanshu Shekharji, pranam.

Often you have raised this pratiyogin objection against an abhavarupa
avidya however it is based on some kind of existential positive abhava
entity as opposed to a mere absence of knowledge. That seems to be an
original argument made in the Ishta Siddhi and apparently repeated in the
Vivarana but is addressed by SSSS in chapter 12 of his Vedanta Prakriya
Pratyabinna/The Method of the Vedanta. SSSSji first cites the original
objection and then offers the correct view with support from Sankara in
Gita 13.26.

"The illusory manifestation is totally non-existent in any form or at any
time apart from the place, time and form in which it was perceived. And at
the time of cancellation its whole being is seen to have been exhausted in
its manifestation in that way at that place."

This is explained by Bhasyakara as the correction of an apparent
conjunction between snake and rope by the negation of the apparency upon
the only ever existing rope without the possibility of any kind of positive
ignorance being assumed

I have simplified but hope it will not be taken as a substitute for
SSSSji's clarification. Here are links to the exact pages for more
clarification and depth regarding this issue. Kindly consider

Regards, MCC

https://archive.org/details/the-method-of-the-vedanta-a-critical-account-of-the-advaita-tradition-swami-satchidanandendra/page/n845/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/the-method-of-the-vedanta-a-critical-account-of-the-advaita-tradition-swami-satchidanandendra/page/n791/mode/2up?view=theater