[Advaita-l] [advaitin] RE: pratiyogI-jnAna being mandatory for abhAva-jnAna

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 08:37:19 EDT 2024

Namaste Michael ji.

Let us not go to avidyA-vidyA debate here. We should first crystallise as
to whether it is possible to have x-abhAva-jnAna without x-jnAna.

If I ask Mr A - do you have tuoli in your home?

He cannot answer unless he knows what is a tuoli.

So he would counter question - what is a tuoli.

Such normal usual course of daily affairs proves without a doubt that
x-jnAna is a prerequisite of x-abhAva-jnAna.

And to the best of my knowledge, all branches of Indian Philosophy accept
this basic concept.

I just wish to know if there is any branch of Indian Philosophy which does
not accept this. I would read their arguments.

As for SSSS Ji's view, we may consider it some other time. He has taken up
this issue and tried to argue that x-jnAna is not required for
x-abhAva-jnAna. However, that is not correct in my opinion.

Regards.