[Advaita-l] what is the technical definition of Drik in Advaita?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri May 31 09:03:21 EDT 2024

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Reg  //  The problem with shuddha chaitanya being drik is -- there is
nothing to be seen for shuddha chaitanya //,

And

//  Hence, drik has to be sAskhI. And sAkshI is defined as
avidyA-upahita-chaitanya //,

The Katha Up mantra I had cited refers to

//  तमेव भान्तमनुभाति सर्वं तस्य भासा सर्वमिदं विभाति //

//  tameva bhAntamanubhAti sarvaM tasya bhAsA sarvamidaM vibhAti //.

If Drik is restricted to sAkshi, who illumines the upAdhi , namely ajnAna,
which is part of sAkshi ?? . Shuddha Chaitanya . In this particular
context, I prefer to understand Shuddha Chaitanya as Drik. Restricting it
to sAkshi  takes away from the beauty of the concept.

Regards